Divorce on irretrievable breakdown of marriage


Question From: Family Law

Irretrievable breakdown of marriage is prevalent in US. Does Hindu Marriage Act enumerate it as a ground for divorce?

Irretrievable breakdown of marriage is not a valid ground of divorce under section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act 1955 so divorce can not be granted only on the ground of irretrievable breakdown of marriage.

A decree of divorce can only be granted when one of the grounds as enumerated in section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 has been made out. If none of the such ground is made out a decree of divorce can not be granted simply because there has been irretrievable breakdown of marriage.

Irretrievable breakdown of marriage has recognized as a valid ground of divorce by the law of many countries. The modern law has laid down that if a marriage has been broken down beyond any possibility of repair then it should be dissolved and party should not be under legal obligation to prove any ground of divorce. Court should have discretion to decide each and every case on the individual basis whether marriage has in fact broken down or not.

The law commission of India has recommended that irretrievable breakdown of marriage should be inserted in section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act because it is became demand of our society. A bill is still pending before House of the people towards insertion of this ground in section 13 and extend the scope of divorce.

Image courtesy : google.com 

Ask A Question

You can ask your question to Mr Shivendra Pratap Singh, (Advocate, High Court Allahabad, Lucknow Bench)

Talk to Advocate

Talk to advocate on phone for 30 minutes and get solid legal advice 

Section 372 the Indian Succession Act 1925- Succession Certificate

Succession Certificate: Section 372  [The Indian Succession Act, 1925] 372 Application for certificate. — (1) Application for such a certificate shall be made to the District Judge by a petition signed and verified by or on behalf of the applicant in the manner...

Wife without any reasonable cause refuses to live with husband

Sub-section 4 of Section 125 crpc enumerates that if a wife without any reasonable cause refuses to live with her husband, she is not entitled to maintenance. The court before granting an order of maintenance must examine the fact of refusal to live with the husband.

Land record shows my land as inalienable

The land revenue record shows the land as inalienable when the tenure holder or owner of the land has no right to transfer the land. Generally, government land or patta land is made inalienable because actual right vested in the government. The tenure holder has the right to cultivate the land and enjoy the usufruct.

Any person can lodge the FIR

Section 154 CrPC does not mandate that only victim can lodge the FIR. Any person can register the FIR if he knows that a cognisable offence has been committed. In Prakash Singh vs State of Punjab, the Supreme Court held that police officer could not make an inquiry about genuineness of FIR.

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to a Lawyer Today!

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Contact a lawyer in Lucknow

30 Min. Consultation


Join Our Newsletter

Subscribe our newsletter to get our news as well as important legal updates of Supreme Court & High Courts

Share via