Nullity of marriage


I am not happy with my wife and I want to end our relationship. I heard about nullity of marriage if husband is not happy. Am I right and if so please advice to end my relationship and nullify my marriage.

Question asked on 14/08/2015

Answered by: Advocate Shivendra

On the fulfillment of certain conditions Hindu marriage becomes null and void. Parties to the marriage can file petition towards annulment of their marriage. Provisions towards nullity of marriage are given in section 12 Hindu Marriage Act (HMA). Requirements of a valid marriage is mentioned in section 5 of HMA.

The law of nullity depends upon existence of some pre-marriage impediments. Hindu law divides these impediments into two categorie.

  • Absolute impediments
  • Relative impediments

Marriage becomes void ab initio on the existence of absolute impediments. This marriage is invalid from the very beginning so it is called void marriage. According to section 5 of HMA these are the ground of void marriage.

  • At the time of marriage either party has a spouse living (Bigamous marriage) 
  • The parties are sapinda to each other. 
  • The parties are within the prohibited degree of relationship.

No legal consequences flow from the void marriage, parties to the marriage are free to solemnize another marriage because they are not treated as husband and wife. It does not matter in the void marriage that all the valid ceremonies are performed at the time of marriage or marriage is registered under section 8 of HMA.

In the existence of relative impediments a marriage is voidable. However voidable marriage is perfectly valid till the petition filed by either party for annulment of marriage under section 12 of HMA. If no petition is filed then marriage has these effects.

  • It confers upon parties as status of husband and wife. 
  • Children out of this marriage are legitimate. 
  • All other mutual and legal rights like inheritance, maintenance, succession etc  arise from it.

Parties to the marriage may file petition for annulment on these grounds.

  • Inability of respondent to give consent or suffering from mental disorder. 
  • Inability of respondent to consummate the marriage on account of his or her impotency. 
  • Concealment of pre marriage pregnancy by the respondent. 
  • Consent of the parties being obtained by fraud or force.

Send your question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 16825

Consultation: 3309

Suit for declaration of a matrimonial status before the family court

What is the jurisdiction of family court and can I file suit for declaration of matrimonial status? Question asked on 25/12/2016Suit for declaration of marital status can be filed before the family court. The Family Courts Act 1984 empowers the family court,...

Without solemnized marriage is valid or void- online legal advice

My marriage is not solemnized as per ceremonies of Hindu marriage. But we have been living together since 18 march 2004. We have two children and my husband is working abroad. We came to know that without solemnization of marriage between two Hindus renders their...

Husband left country after filing of divorce case

I filed for divorce in March 2015 on grounds of cruelty and dowry with my husband, also he is impotent and gay. A criminal case was also registered against him and my in laws who harassed me mentally and financially,but in May 2015 he has left the country and moved to...

Validity of inter caste marriage

I love with a girl belongs to other caste. We are major and desired to marry. If I marry with her, that marriage will be valid under Hindu Marriage Act.  Question from - Family Law | Hindu marriageValidity of inter caste marriage can’t be challenged under Hindu...

Concealment of unchastity of wife

My wife had bodily relation with a boy before the marriage, she admitted this fact to me. I doubt that she is emotionally attached with him. However, he did not try to contact after the marriage. If it seems that she being not faithful with me then can I repudiate...

Nullity of marriage

I am not happy with my wife and I want to end our relationship. I heard about nullity of marriage if husband is not happy. Am I right and if so please advice to end my relationship and nullify my marriage.   Question asked on 14/08/2015On the fulfillment of certain...

Registration of marriage

What is procedure for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act? Question from - Family Law | Hindu marriage | Marriage registrationRegistration of marriage is a mode of proof of marriage. On adducing the registration certificate of marriage, it may be...

Marriage without valid ceremony is invalid

Does a Hindu marriage valid without solemnization of proper ceremony Question from - Family Law | Hindu Marriage Act | MarriageMarriage without ceremony is invalid because Hindu marriage is sacramental rather than contract. Section 7 of the Hindu Marriage Act requires...

Legal validity of Sagai or Betrothal

What is the legal validity of sagai? Question from - Family Law | Hindu marriageSagai or Betrothal is a contract of marriage. According to Manu when a girl a is promised in marring to one man, the good men do not give her in marriage to another man. Sagai...

Does Hindu marriage sacrament or contract

Does Hindu marriage sacramental or contract?  Question asked on 31/07/2015It is now subject of debate that Hindu marriage became a contract or still sacrament. We are living in a new era which is the result of the industrial revolution, the most significant...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now
Share via