Every person has right to choose his life partner of his own choice


I’m asking this question on behalf of my friend. He loves his colleague, and they have decided to get married. They belong from a different community, therefore, cannot marry due to the customs of their society.  He is terrified because his uncle warned him that if he marries with his friend, then he should be ready to face serious consequences. Sir, this doesn’t seem right, and no one can force them to retract from their decision. Please tell me what they should do?

Question asked on 12/08/2018

Answered by: Advocate Shivendra

He should not be afraid of the threats giving by his uncle. Your friend and his colleague have attained the age of majority. Therefore, they are free to marry without the consent of their parents. You said that the lady belongs to a different community. Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage Act permits them to solemnise their marriage. If parties to the marriage are Hindu, it is irrelevant that they belong to the different community.

Recently, the Supreme Court held in Shakti Vahini v. Union of India, (2018) 7 SCC 192 held that the right to select a life partner is a fundamental right. This right to choose a life partner of his own choice is declared a fundamental right because it is an inherent part of Article 19 and 21 of the Constitution of India.

The court further opined that once the fundamental right is inherent in a person, then no one can scuttle such right by leaning on any kind of philosophy, moral or social, or self-proclaimed elevation. Clan supremacy cannot take away the enjoyment of a right guaranteed under the constitution.

To stop the continuous threats from his uncle, he should file a complaint against him for the offence punishable under section 506 of the Indian Penal Code. His uncle has been committing the crime of criminal intimidation by giving threats of life. There is no illegality to solemnise marriage with a girl of different community. His uncle is acting as a moral preacher of Khap Panchayat. He is trying to take the law into his hand and assuming the character of the law implementing agency. Without having any authority, he is giving threats to him.  

In this situation, your friend should file a writ petition before the High Court under Article 226 of the Consitution. He may plead the court that his uncle is trying to violate his right, which is declared by the supreme court as the fundamental right in Shakti Vahini case.

When a right has the sanction of the constitutional law, and once that is recognised, the said right needs to be protected, and it cannot succumb to the conception of class honour or clan supremacy. Hence, the High Court may provide him with proper police protection and direct his uncle to produce an undertaking that he shall not create hurdle in solemnisation of their marriage.

Nowadays, the court is actively interfering in the societal weft to protect the constitutional and fundamental right of the citizen. The activity of Khap Panchayat, the act of honour killing and clan supremacy have taken many lives. This menace should be stopped, therefore, the Supreme Court in Shakti Vahini case declared that the right to choose a life partner of own choice is a fundamental right. After such declaration, any person can approach the High Court or Supreme Court for protection against violation of that fundamental right.

He should file a writ petition for the protection and proper direction from the High Court to solemnise their marriage and may also file a complaint before the Magistrate under section 200 of the CrPC for stopping the undue interferences of his uncle.

Send your question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 16825

Consultation: 3309

The police officer has refused to register my case

Police says, No fir can be lodge for vehicle damage caused by any person. Yesterday at 11 pm, a boy from my colony came to me and asked for my car, but I refused to give him. Then he threatened me to break and damage my car, and he has damaged the door of my car. I...

What to do against the false allegation

Quash the false allegation made in the complaint. You can file a petition before the High Court under section 482 of CrPC for quashing of the criminal proceeding. The court has inherent power under section 482 to take appropriate step to do justice.

Any person can lodge the FIR

Section 154 CrPC does not mandate that only victim can lodge the FIR. Any person can register the FIR if he knows that a cognisable offence has been committed. In Prakash Singh vs State of Punjab, the Supreme Court held that police officer could not make an inquiry about genuineness of FIR.

Sexual intercourse by making a false promise of marriage

The Supreme Court held that sexual intercourse by taking consent on the false promise of marriage amounts to the offence of rape. As far as section 90 & 375 IPC is concerned, if the consent was taken by the misconception of fact, i.e. the false promise of marriage, it is not a valid consent and accused shall be punished for the offence of rape

Sexual intercourse by false promise of marriage

I have a relationship with my boyfriend for two years; recently, I came to know that he is going to marry another girl. I quarrelled with him, but he is saying that you don't have status and beauty how I can marry you? However, we had a physical relationship for that...

My aunt harassing my uncle for property

My uncle has one adopted daughter. He has a self-acquired property. His wife is torturing him to give all property to her. But my uncle wants to give the property to his daughter. His wife creating so much drama and spreading falls statement on my uncle. With the help...

Further investigation is being conducted with mala-fide intention

My girlfriend has filed a false case of sexual harassment. She filed FIR under section 354 A of the Indian penal code. Indeed, she induced me to establish a sexual relationship with the sole purpose to extort money. I trapped on the web; I had sent some WhatsApp...

Dowry death and cruelty

My daughter died in strange circumstances. She in-laws were demanded dowry after the marriage. I could not fulfil their demands but tried best to achieve as far as possible. I have sufficient evidence to prove that they demanded dowry otherwise ready to face dire...

What will you do in an improper investigation

I filed an FIR for the offence of cheating. My friend took some money from me and now refusing to pay. He told me that he needs some money for her sister's marriage. I had faith upon him and transferred money online in his bank account. After two years I asked him to...

POCSO: School principal did not report the offence

I am principal of inter college. One day peon of the college committed rape on a student of class eleven. Her father reported the incident to me on the same day and asked to file FIR. I thought that it might disrepute our institution, therefore, trying to compromise...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now
Share via