Right to irrigation of agricultural land


Question From: Property Law

I was bataidar of the agricultural land of Solan, Himachal Pradesh. I had been bataidar from 1967 to 1977 and there after I purchased that land from the owner. There is a common well for irrigation of land. When I was bataidar I used that well for irrigation but when I became owner of the land my previous landlord objected to use that well. He filed a civil suit for the injunction order for stopping me to use that well.

I have right to irrigation of agricultural land because due to irrigation i have paid more money otherwise land would be sold on less price. His suit is dismissed by the court of junior and  senior division. Now he filed appeal before the high court. Section 36 of the H.P. Tenancy and land reform act gives such right to me.

According to section 36 of the Himachal Pradesh tenancy and land reform act tenant has right to use all the facilities available before commencement of the act. This act came in force in year 1972 and your tenancy had been in existence from year 1967.

When you had right irrigate your land from that common well then landlord has no right to curtail or terminate use of well water enjoyed by tenant immediately before commencement of this act. Sub section 3 of section 104 of the Himachal Pradesh tenancy and land reform act also protect your right. According to this section you have all the rights, title and interest in respect of the land which was enjoyed by the landowner immediately before sell or transfer of land.

This common well has been used by the landowners for irrigation of their lands. So you have accrued that interest and right by the taking ownership of that land. All the incidental and contingent rights of the property are transfer to purchaser at the time of sell or transfer of property, so you got the right to irrigation of agricultural land from the land owner.

You should not be afraid from the High Court because it is court of record and not need to re appreciation of evidence in deciding right of the parties.

Image courtesy : google.com 

Ask A Question

You can ask your question to Mr Shivendra Pratap Singh, (Advocate, High Court Allahabad, Lucknow Bench)

Talk to Advocate

Talk to advocate on phone for 30 minutes and get solid legal advice 

Section 340 of the code of criminal procedure (CrPC) perjury

Section 340 in The Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 Procedure in cases mentioned in section 195. (1) When, upon an application made to it in this behalf or otherwise, any Court is of opinion that it is expedient in the interests of justice that an inquiry should be...

Claim refund of money against the builder under RERA

Section 18 of the Real Estate (Regulation And Development) Act, 2016 (RERA) entitles the flat buyer to claim a refund of money and compensation for any loss from the builder. If the builder did not complete the project within time he shall be liable to refund the money with interest.

Section 154 the code of criminal procedure (crpc)

Section 154 CrPC: Information in cognizable cases (FIR) (1) Every information relating to the commission of a cognizable offence, if given orally to an officer in charge of a police station, shall be reduced to writing by him or under his direction, and be read Over...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to a Lawyer Today!

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Contact a lawyer in Lucknow

30 Min. Consultation


Join Our Newsletter

Subscribe our newsletter to get our news as well as important legal updates of Supreme Court & High Courts

Share via