Section 142 of The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881
What is the procedure for initiation of proceeding for the offence of cheque dishonour under section 138 of NI Act?
Section 142 Cognizance of offences: Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)-
(a) no court shall take cognisance of any crime punishable under section 138 except upon a complaint, in writing, made by the payee or, as the case may be, the holder in due course of the cheque;
(b) such complaint should be filed within one month of the date on which the cause of action arises under clause (c) of the proviso to section 138:
Provided that the Court may take the cognisance of a complaint after the prescribed period if the complainant satisfies the Court that he had sufficient cause for not making a complaint within such period.
(c) no court inferior to that of a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of the first class shall try any offence punishable under section 138.
- The payee of the cheque can file the complaint. The criminal proceeding initiates by the filing of a complaint.
- The victim may file a complaint before the court of the Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of the first class. No other court has jurisdiction in respect of cheque bounce.
- The limitation period for filing of the complaint one month from the date on which the cause of action arises.
- Cause of action arises when the drawer of the cheque is failed to pay the amount of money to the payee within 15 days of the date of receiving of demand notice.
- Rakesh Nemkumar Porwal vs Narayan Dhondu Joglekar 1993Cri L J 680 (Bom) under clause (c) of the section 138 NI Act, 15 days’ time is granted to the drawer of the cheque to make payment and unless this period elapsed and no payment was made, the drawer was not liable for any offence under section 138 of the NI Act.
- N. Venkata Sivaram Prasad vs Rajeshwary Construction 1996 Cri. L. J. 3409 (AP) complaint cannot be filed unless the drawer of the cheque fails to make the payment to the payee within 15 days of the receipt of the demand notice.
Ask A Question
You can ask your question to Mr Shivendra Pratap Singh, (Advocate, High Court Allahabad, Lucknow Bench)
My friend issued a cheque for discharge of his liability but it is dishonoured due to insufficient fund. I want to know that when it can be said that offence under section 138 has committed. Question from - Cheque Bounce | Criminal LawDishonour of cheque is an offence...
When can I file complaint for the offence of dishonour of cheque?Question from - Cheque Bounce | Criminal LawDishonouring of cheque for insufficiency of fund in the account is generally called bounce of cheque. Section 138 of the Negotiable Instrument Act 1881...
I gave loan to my friend and at the same time he issued a cheque of the equal amount of loan for security of the loan. However I was quite sure that he will return that amount in 2 months but he failed to return. i made some query regarding repayment of loan and after...
I like to file a check bounce case in fast track court. a. Is there any specific procedure for applying a case in fast track court? b. Will I get a quick judgement than the normal court?( I have heard check bounce cases pending for 3 years in normal court) c. is it...
Get A Quick Advice
Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes
Join Our Newsletter
Subscribe our newsletter to get our news as well as important legal updates of Supreme Court & High Courts